The Critical Connection Between Periodontal Disease and Diabetes
Have you heard the frightening findings that people with diabetes have a significantly higher chance of developing the severe gum disease known as periodontal disease? Learn more about this research and how to protect your smile.
The Pressing Problem with Diabetes and Oral Health
Studies suggest that the danger with periodontal disease and diabetes is due to blood sugar level. Many people with diabetes have trouble controlling their blood sugar. But when the blood sugar level is not controlled, the risk greatly increases for many dental problems, particularly periodontal disease. If you’re diabetic, you need to know about this risk with diabetes and teeth to save yourself from problems.
Simple Steps for Protection
Given these frightening findings on periodontal disease and diabetes, you must make every effort to take control of your health. Luckily, there are many small things you can do that can make a big difference. Start with these healthy hints:
- Control your blood sugar level to prevent complications with diabetes and teeth.
- Brush your teeth gently at least twice a day.
- Floss once a day or more, as needed.
- Keep your dentist aware of the state of your diabetes.
- If your blood sugar level isn’t under control, postpone any non-emergency dental procedures.
- See the dentist immediately if you notice dental problems.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings every six months, or more often if you have a history of diabetes and oral health problems.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Fairfax, call Dental One Associates of Fairfax today at (703) 664-1990 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Fairfax. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Fairfax, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Fairfax.