How to Have a Successful Oral Surgery
Oral surgeons usually provide detailed directions to help you heal after any type of oral surgery. Their instructions often include these proven, post-op pointers.
Follow These Dental Dos
- Make sure to follow any pre-op and post-op instructions that oral surgeons provide to help in healing.
- Start taking any medications prescribed by your dentist in Fairfax immediately after oral surgery. If you’re worried about their cost, ask for an affordable dental care alternative.
- Stay home and rest for at least 24 hours after oral surgery.
- You should start gently rinsing your mouth with warm, salted water the day after oral surgery and be careful to avoid spitting out the water forcefully.
- Soothe any swelling by holding ice packs on your face for up to 15 minutes at a time.
- Control bleeding with a gauze pad.
- Keep your head propped up with pillows.
- Stick to liquids or soft foods after surgery, such as yogurt, smoothies, soup, and mashed potatoes.
- If you still feel numb six hours later or experience excessive bleeding, call your affordable dental care clinic to see if there may be a problem.
Avoid These Dental Don’ts
- Don’t touch the surgical site at all.
- Do not rinse your mouth for at least 24 hours after oral surgery.
- Don’t brush the surgical site for the first few days after treatment, but you can gently wipe it with soft gauze to keep it clean.
- Do not exercise or perform any strenuous physical activity for at least 12 to 24 hours after oral surgery.
- Don’t perform any heavy lifting or move your head forcefully for a few days following treatment.
- Do not have hot food or drinks until your mouth is no longer numb.
- Do not drink from a straw, spit, or do any type of action that could put pressure on the surgical site.
- Don’t drink for at least 24 hours after treatment.
- Don’t smoke in general, but for at least a few days after oral surgery.
- Don’t ignore any post-op pain or concern. Oral surgeons need to know about any problems you experience after oral surgery in order to help you heal properly.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Fairfax, call Dental One Associates of Fairfax today at (703) 664-1990 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Fairfax. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Fairfax, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Fairfax.